SCRs are an electronic record of important patient information, created from GP medical records.
They can be seen and used by authorised staff in other areas of the health and care system involved in a patient’s direct care.
You may need to receive treatment from someone who does not know your medical history. An SCR means they can quickly access important information and make sure you receive the best care possible.
Here are just some examples of information contained on your SCR that will help NHS staff give you the best care:
- Medications you are currently taking
- Any allergies you have
- Negative reactions to medication in the past
- You can also choose to have additional information on your SCR including any long-term conditions, significant medical history or specific communications needs
- Without an SCR, this information would not be available quickly and would have to be requested. This can lead to delays in your treatment, or worse still application of a specific treatment or medicine that you may react badly to.
- Summary Care Records are created automatically when information enters a GP surgery’s clinical system. This means they are held by your specific GP practice, not DDHF directly.
If you DO NOT want to have a Summary Care Record created and available to clinicians across the NHS then you will need to contact your GP directly to positively opt out.
A key principle of GDPR is transparency – making it clear to people how their data is being used, and giving them the right to say no.
You are entitled to:
- Find out what data we collect and why.
- Find out how your data is stored and archived.
- View your own data and have mistakes corrected.
- Object to and restrict certain processing of your data.
- Have you records erased (unless it damages the provision of health care to you, or has fraudulent insurance purposes, for example).
Any questions, concerns or request for information about GDPR and your personal information should be made in writing to:
Unit 51 Innovation House
South Church Enterprise Park